City of Carmel
www.carmel.in.gov One Civic Square, Carmel, IN 46032
Date: October 12, 2006
Contact: Nancy Heck (317) 571-2494
Main Street Open to Arts & Design District Merchants
Carmel, IN – Main Street is open from Range Line Road, west to the Monon Trail for access to Main Street shops and businesses. All businesses are currently open to the public for the duration of the road improvement project taking place west of the Monon Trail.
The detour route for the Main Street Improvement project utilizes Guilford Road, City Center Drive and Range Line Road. Visitors to the Arts & Design District can access Main Street from many alternate routes.
- North and south-bound motorists on Range Line can turn west onto Main Street at the intersection of Main and Range Line.
- From Range Line Road, motorists traveling north can turn west at 1st Street SW. Use 1st Ave. SW to access Main Street shops.
- Motorists traveling south on Range Line Road can turn west onto 1st Street NW to access the District and/or Main Street by 1st Ave. NW or 2nd Ave. NW.
- 2nd Ave. NW, located parallel to the Monon Greenway, is open to both north and south bound traffic. Traffic traveling west on Main can exit the district by turning north on 2nd Ave. NW.
- From City Center Drive, motorists can turn north onto 3rd Ave. SW. At the “T” in the road, motorists should turn east onto 2nd Street SW, cross the Monon and turn north onto 2nd Ave. SW. From here, turn east onto 1st Street SW, and north onto 1st Ave. SW to access the Main Street shop
Please visit the Main Street shops west of Range Line Road to enjoy local businesses including: Accent Details, Addendum, Artichoke Designs, B. Meylor Interiors, Carmel Music Center, Carmel Old Town Antique Mall, Chaos, Christian Science Reading Room, CK Designs, Deborah DeFazio Lyons Portrait Studio and Gallery, Definitions for Her, Grosser & Company, Joe’s Butcher Shop and Fish Market, Law Offices of Curtis J. Butcher, Lotus Heart Yoga Centre, Main Street Barber Shop, Mary & Martha’s Exceedingly Chic Boutique, Old Town on the Monon Leasing Office, Petals and Fine Gifts, Skin Sense, State Farm Insurance, Surface Pro, The Little Shop, and The World’s Smallest Children’s Art Gallery.
There are also many wonderful eateries near the construction area including: Bazbeaux Pizza, Bub’s Burgers and Ice Cream, Carmel Tavern, Muldoons, Pizza King, and Smoothie King.
Improvements to Main Street from the Monon Trail, west to 4th Ave. SW, began in September and continue until November of this year. The project includes curbs and storm sewer installation, construction of on-street parking and streetlights on both sides of the roadway. The north side will include sidewalks, street trees and decorative pavers. A roundabout will also be installed at the intersection of Main and 4th Ave. SW.