NEWS RELEASE Contact: Nancy Heck - (317) 571-2494

Historic Peele House in Carmel Moved and Preserved

Carmel, IN – A celebration was held today for the moving of the Peele House from its current location on Main Street to a temporary location at 2nd  Street SW and the Monon Trail.

Elizabeth Peele was a well known Quaker who was a weaver in Carmel (then Bethlehem). In 1846, Bethlehem residents learned there was a state law requiring the town and its post office to have the same name and Bethlehem was already the name of another Indiana town.

When Elizabeth, known as "Aunt Lizzie," learned that Bethlehem would be required to change its name, she searched her Bible for a name suitable for the Quaker settlement. She found the name "Carmel" in the Bible from Isaiah 35:2 "It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice even with joy and singing; the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon."

Elizabeth's husband, William, liked the name "Carmel" and suggested it to the town elders. After the biblical verse was read at a town meeting the elders then adopted the name "Carmel."  

“Preserving some structures, such as the Peele house, is important to the City of Carmel in order to recognize and remember the historical value that exists in Carmel, especially as the Arts & Design District grows,” said Ron Carter, President of the Carmel Redevelopment Commission (CRC).  

The house was moved from its current location at Main Street and 2nd Avenue NW and temporarily placed at 2nd Street SW and the Monon Trail (in the grass running parallel to the Monon on the east side of the Monon).

The CRC and City of Carmel are working to move the house to a permanent location at North Range Line Road at a later date.  The Peele House was moved from its current location to allow for the continued development of the Carmel Arts District Lofts & Shoppes.  This project will include housing additional restaurant, retail, gallery and residential space, as well as a two story underground garage for public parking.



Peele House, West Main Street, Carmel, as sketched by artist, Betty Little. The sketch of the Peele house was prepared by Betty Little for a calendar of Hamilton County homes.

The Peele House
Carmel, Indiana

  • Elizabeth Peele was a well known Quaker lady who was a weaver in Carmel (then Bethlehem).  The weaving room she used, on the right in the pictures, was removed later. 
  • In 1846, Bethlehem residents learned there was a state law requiring the town and its post office to have the same name and Bethlehem was already the name of another Indiana town.
  • When Elizabeth, known as “Aunt Lizzie,” learned that Bethlehem would be required to change its name, she searched her Bible for some name suitable for the Quaker settlement. 
  • She found the name "Carmel" in the Bible from Isaiah 35:2 "It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice even with joy and singing; the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon." 
  • Elizabeth's husband, William, liked the name "Carmel" and suggested it to the town elders.  After the biblical verse was read at a town meeting, the elders then adopted the name "Carmel." 

Howard Hunt and John Graves in front of the Peele house in the 1940’s. This photo is from the Carmel Clay Historical Society’s collection of photos donated by the family of John Graves.

Carmel Clay Historical Society appreciates the effort and expense of preserving this important Carmel landmark and encourages the community to invest in the preservation and restoration of Carmel's architectural heritage.

Carmel Clay Historical Society 846-7117
 
close window